Pages

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Day Eight - 2009 Gettysburg Fringe Festival Plein Air Paint Out

Today was the last day to paint before we deliver the paintings for the exhibit which will be opening on Saturday June 27, 2009 at the Gettysburg Presbyterian Church, 208 Baltimore Street, Gettysburg, PA 17325. There will be a reception from 6:00 P.M. to 8:00 P.M. Everyone is welcome!

I went back to the Trostle Farm to paint today because when I had been there earlier in the week, I had seen some daylilies that were growing beside one of the outbuildings. Although I had taken some good photographs of them, I wanted to go to the site to paint. It was a hot one today - in the 90's, and my source of shade was a little apple tree that was at most two and a half feet tall. I was the only painter at the site, but I was visited by quite a few people on horseback who were taking a guided tour of the battlefield. Of course they all wanted me to paint them into my picture!

Just a note of interest - the Trostle Barn (right-most building in my painting) has a large artillery shell hole in the front brick face that was created during the second day of the battle. The Trostle farm is located almost in the center of the Gettysburg Battlefield, and was the site of some of the heaviest fighting.

Here's my setup today...



And here's the finished painting...

Daylilies on the Trostle Farm (with Little Round Top in the Background) Oil 6 X 8



Another artist from the plein air event, Dorothea Barrick, stopped by to visit me and she took some pictures of the daylilies as well.



Here are some paintings that Dorothea will be exhibiting at the opening on Saturday.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails